The Similarities in Carolyn Arend's Songs and Book

                                                                    By: Harmony Lehman 

    

                                                         Living the Questions: Making Sense of the Mess and Mystery of Life

    The autobiography Living the Questions is by a Christian artist who I listen to often, Carolyn Arends. As I was reading her book, I noticed many times that moments in the book seemed to correlate perfectly with a certain song she has written. So, I looked closer, and, sure enough, I could find examples of almost all of her songs in the book. I chose my favorite three to analyse, but I could easily do 20 just the same.

    The first, and most notable song lyrics that came to my mind while reading were from a song called "We've Been Waiting For You". It's a song about a child coming into the world from a mother's perspective, telling them all the things they have yet to experience and the great love they will find. It's a very heartwarming song, and sometimes brings a tear to my eye (which is common enough). On pages 168-169, Carolyn mentions how she prays for her son already, at only 2 years old, unfortunately knowing that "there will still be days he cries hot tears rejection". Just as she is thinking on to the future of the lows in her son's life, she also writes about the wonders in the song "We've Been Waiting For You", saying "Life is something not to miss, oh, the taste of ice cream, your first kiss" (Arends, 2:12). The song does not just focus on the wonderful things in life, but life as a whole. This section of the book and the song have much in common, it only makes sense that they are by the same person.

    The second song lyrics that I was reminded of was a song called "Love You Out Loud". It's a heart wrenching song about all the things one wished they could do for someone after they lost them. The chorus' lyrics are,"There's so much I left unspoken. If you were hear you right now, I would love you out loud" (Arends, 1:20). In the chapter "Jump Shots and Salchows" Carolyn Arends writes about her companion, Rich Mullins, and what a character he was. Rich died at the age of 41, in a car crash. The song "Love You Out Loud" reflects deeply Carolyn's feelings of regret at not taking more of Rich's time, which she communicates in her book, "looking back, I can see I probably would have gotten to know Rich better" (Arends, 164). 

    The last connection I made is my personal favorite, and connects to the song "You Take my Soul by Storm". It is about how God's love is so overwhelming and strong, using the metaphor of "like the mighty winds of a hurricane, You'll come rushing in when I call Your name" (Arends, 0:57). In the chapter "A Prairie Storm", Carolyn Arends talks about how when she was younger, her family had a drought, which was a problem as they lived on a farm. So, she does the only thing she can think of, which is to pray. Later in the day, something miraculous happens, "The world is suddenly lit in a ghoulish white flash that scourches my eyes. A second later, all is consumed in darkness" (Arends, 90). A thunderstorm comes in, and she begins to cry, thinking it is her fault. The adults laugh, not blaming her one bit. The thunderstorm in this chapter is very similar to the way Carolyn Arends describes God in her song, as a hurricane. There is even a verse that says "The promise of sweet rain" (Arends, 2:01). Another interesting aspect of this is usually rain is described as negative, but in both instances in these pieces rain is more of a blessing than a curse.

    Overall, the overlap between Carolyn Arend's songs and book is common, as well as beautiful. I loved reading her book in her voice, and having songs come to the top of my head that so perfectly reflected what I had just read. It was comforting, and remains one of the reasons this is one of my favorite books ever. It feels like one big, warm hug. I hope that you read it if you ever get the chance!


Comments

  1. I really love it when artists bring two mediums together to express how they feel. I've seen many situations where book and tv series are connected but beyond that there isn't much. But with what we do have we can see more into the picture through the other medium that we flat out couldn't completely understand when just consuming one. I really enjoyed your analysis and am tempted to both read and listen to this author's media.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment